We are a group of parents, teachers and local citizens who are deeply concerned with the safety and well-being of students who attend Overton High School.
We feel our school system is fast approaching a crisis that is going to escalate into an act of violence or will result in a student committing suicide. We fear that the failure of the school administration to act decisively and effectively in a timely manner will have fearful consequences that once the precipice is reached that no-one can undo.
Our concerns are as follows:
- The school administration has failed to recognize that there is a serious problem and is in denial to the extent and severity of the problem,
- The school administration has not allowed teachers to act in the best interest of the students in this matter,
- The school administration has suppressed relevant information and failed to act in order to protect student organizations, staff, students and/or parents,
- The school administration has failed to reign in students who are bullying other students,
- The school administration is failing to recognize that the parents of these students are inciting violence between the students,
- The school administration is failing to investigate and address the bullying accusations in a timely manner,
- The school district has failed to adequately formulate policies and procedures to adequately recognize bullying in a timely manner,
- The school district has failed to adequately formulate policies and procedures to provide adult intervention and supervision,
- The school district has failed to adequately formulate policies and procedures to provide counseling services for both the victims and those accused of perpetuating the bullying,
- The school district has failed to follow the inadequate formulated policies and procedures they have previously enacted,
- As a result of the deficiencies listed above, the Overton Independent School District might be in violation of state laws and thus be liable for financial and administrative penalties from the state or federal government.
The Superintendent, Stephen DuBose, and the High School Principal, Kendall Smith, have to this point showed a lack of effective leadership in resolving these issues which imperil our children.